Ahh the power of positive thinking. We hear about it often; in many ways by many sources. For example, “Think happy thoughts” – Peter Pan. “Stay positive” – Your Mother. “Reduce stress by eliminating negative-self-talk” – Mayo Clinic.
It’s been scientifically proven that staying optimistic, even in the most stressful of circumstances, can truly change your life. Those who chose to look on the brighter side of things can often enjoy:
- Increased life span
- Lower rates of depression
- Lower levels of distress
- Greater resistance to the common cold
- Better psychological and physical well-being
- Reduced risk of death from cardiovascular disease
- Better coping skills during hardships and times of stress
While it is true that living in a state of Happiness is a choice, applying that behavior can be a bit of a challenge when things aren’t going swell. That’s where this simple little DIY ditty comes in handy. It’s called the HAPPY THOUGHTS JAR and it’s concept is as easy to understand as it is to make.
- Grab a jar, a pen and a small scrap of paper.
- Write down something that made you happy today
- Place it in the jar
- Dig into the jar whenever you need a pick-me-up or a dose positive inspiration.
This concept is not new but it works. We’d all like to ”Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive” every chance we get but sometimes negativity can prevail over the brightest of thoughts. That’s when this simple tool can be your go-to for reinforcement. The best part? Its completely customizable. Don’t limit it to just happy memories. It can be compliments you’ve received, positive mantras, song lyrics or even that you didn’t have to wait all day for the plumber to fix the backed up toilet. The truth is ANYTHING will work inside this jar as long as its positive in nature. Think of it as your ever-growing, always inspiring, personal fortune cookie in a jar. With less calories of course.